Monday, June 3, 2013

Proof of Life

"Welcome to the inner workings of my mind" -MS MR

I opened up my blogging journal and turned to the page of The Things I Love.  In the thick of my disorder, life was very black and white.  There was little room for the things I truly care about.  In recovery, I made a random list of moments that brought me back to the land of the living.  I got the idea from reading a book called The Book of Awesome by Neil Pasricha.  Check it out, it's awesome and hilarious!  Some of those on my list are the same things that just about everybody appreciates:  Sunsets, hot coffee, that kind of cliché stuff.  Now of course there is nothing wrong with those typical things, but what specifically makes us tick?  What gives each of us a sense of peace, comfort, joy, laughter?  What us gives us the proof of life that we all need?  What makes us the same and what makes us different?  We each crave certain things.  What gives me personally the feeling that I am in and of this world?  I would encourage anyone who is in recovery or just having a hard time remembering who they are, to start writing a list of their own list.  Looking at this list and adding things to it really reminds  me of what makes me, me!  Give it a try for yourself!  You may learn some really interesting things about what in this world makes you truly happy.  


Here is my list in no particular order:
  • Driving through falling leaves
  • Watching my children play when they don't know I'm there
  • Sunrises and sunsets
  • The sound of silence when it snows
  • Listening to beautiful music
  • The smell of jack-o-lanterns when they are lit
  • The sound of my husband laughing really hard
  • Holding hands
  • The feeling of sand between my toes
  • The Dalai Lama's smile
  • The smell and sound of campfires
  • The colors of Autumn
  • Pretty much any flower
  • Sincere hugs (My friend Erica gives the best!)
  • Watching the clouds pass over me
  • Windstorms
  • The sound of my children laughing
  • My daughter's beautiful eyes
  • My son when he snuggles with me
  • Watching birds
  • Observing nature in silence
  • Thunder and lightening
  • Looking in windows at night when I pass by
  • The sound of a cat purring 
  • Swinging on a swing set
  • Playing hide-and-seek with children
  • Coffee with friends
  • Coffee alone
  • A great yoga practice
  • Singing in my car (and car dancing)
  • The sound of  barred owls
  • Fresh, clean bedsheets
  • Rainy days in a cozy house
  • Giving gifts that I made
  • The way I feel after a good cry
  • The feeling of laughing so hard it hurts
  • Feeling really small under the night sky
  • Really good chocolate
  • Spending a great day with my sister
  • Watching the ocean alone
  • Sleeping with the window open
  • Naps in the middle of the day
  • Knowing I married my best friend
  • A really good, fresh pain au chocolat 
  • Reuniting with loved ones
  • My mom and dad when they are laughing together
  • Wearing something I feel confident in
  • My (unnatural) red hair
  • The smell of rain after a dry spell
  • A really good find at a thrift store
  • Helping someone I care about
  • The feeling of soft things under my nose
  • The sound of wooden wind chimes
  • Watching babies sleep
  • Drawing
  • Catching a glimpse of a shooting star
  • Seeing my parents are still in love
  • The feeling I get when my house is clean
  • Finding stuff in my coat pocket that I forgot about
  • Falafel gyros
  • Cooking something that tastes really good
  • Watching my garden bloom
  • The cold side of the pillow


Food for Thought

What moments make you truly happy and feel alive?

Where you able add anything to your list?


Live on!

-Kristy

4 comments:

  1. I love...
    *pondering important things with friends
    *holding a purring cat
    *brushing my daughters' hair
    *savoring a sweet cup of coffee
    *a cozy nap
    *a cozy nap with a cat
    *a cozy nap with my husband
    *a cozy nap with a sick child
    *chocolate
    *chocolate and coffee together
    *running into a friend and receiving their smile
    *watching the bees on the flowers
    *watching the hummingbirds on my new feeder
    *feeling beautiful
    *smiling eyes
    *unexpected kisses and hugs from my children
    *words of appreciation
    *the smell of the moist earth after the rain
    *the smell of dry leaves
    *the smell of books (old or new)
    *the smell of crayons
    *the smell of coffee brewing!
    *the smell of onions frying
    *the smell of delicious dinner I didn't cook
    *Thai food
    *iced tea with sugar and lemon
    *my dad's hugs
    *my mom's laughter
    *my husband's arms
    *my cutest shoes and outfits
    *singing with a choir
    *singing a gorgeous and meaningful solo
    *comforting my children with a back rub or hug
    *caring for a baby
    *watching a child learn
    *older people smiling and laughing
    *warm sand on my bare feet
    *napping on the beach
    *the sound of the washing machine doing the laundry
    *the sunlight coming into the house
    *being cozy inside on a rainy or windy day
    *watching the trees blowing in the wind
    *being captivated by a great (true) story
    *gaining insights into life's purpose and joy
    *learning to worry less
    *non-judgmental people
    *silly humor
    *fun changes (first day of school, last day of school, Christmas break)
    *waking up to see it has snowed!
    *marshmallows on hot chocolate
    *hearing my husband playing guitar
    *hearing our girls laughing together
    *pondering (it all comes full circle, I guess)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna,

      I am really glad you did this! Did you have these all written down before or did you sit and think about it all at once? I am curious about your process! I am also noticing how many moments involve nature! Perhaps you are more outdoorsy than you think! I would love to catch up and "ponder" together. Free tomorrow evening?

      Thank you so much for participating in my blog. I LOVE getting responses! :)

      -Kristy

      Delete
  2. I can meet you around 7 or so. :) Let's ponder! Your place again? -Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... and yes I just sat here and typed my answer as I thought of it.. I did copy it to a file for myself too though. :)

    ReplyDelete