Wednesday, June 19, 2013

So Far, in One Month

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others, past and present."  
  -Cloud Atlas


 
I have been doing this blog for about a month now.  I am also transferring the material to my Wordpress account: http://motheringme.wordpress.com/  So basically I am running two blogs.  I know!  Dang girl!  I just want to reach as many people as possible and it is going really well!  I am amazed at how many people are actually reading and commenting back to me.  Unfortunately I have discovered if you want to comment on Blogger you have to have an account which many people do not have (another reason why I am also posting in Wordpress).  People I never thought would want to read my blog, are!  It goes out on Facebook and POOF!  Everyone I know pretty much gets a copy of my diary.  SCARY!  Every time I hit the "Publish" button my heart races.  Is this really a good idea?  Do I really want everyone I know reading my stuff?  Is this important?  Relevant?  I start second guessing myself intensely.  Though the fear is overwhelming, (I can't even read something I wrote after I publish) the reaction is just as powerful.

Not only are my musings reaching people, but I feel so incredibly honored that people are sharing their own stories with me.  My goal is not only to step past my own fear, try something new and challenge myself.  I want to help people.  So many others have helped me through my recovery process.  My parents have always been open, kind, patient and involved.  My in-laws have been so accepting and helped me pay for the incredible expense of treatment.  Many of my friends have been so supportive of me.  I got letters and cards while away in treatment.  I have a treatment team who has stood by me and guided me through recovery.  I have an amazing husband who has been with me literally in sickness and in health.  I have let strangers into my life to teach me and take care of me when I could not do it on my own.  With all of this being said, I am so very, very fortunate and thankful.  I do not take any of it for granted.  I feel it is my turn to be that support for others.  I may not be able to do a lot of things, (those who know me know that I cannot bake a damn cake to save my life) but I am able to be a support and lend a helping hand to those who need one.

As I start this journey of advocacy I admit I am afraid.  What if I don't know what to say?  What if I say the wrong thing!?  What if I don't know how to help someone?  I do not have any special powers.  Just because I have walked through this disease does not mean that I have all the answers.  Strategies and coping mechanisms that worked for me might not necessarily work for others.  I do not know the magical combination of words to say to cure someone.  I don't believe anyone has this power.  I do know that I can be a non-judgmental listener.  I have been where many people have been.  I have felt the shame, the fear, the guilt, the emptiness, the fullness.  Nothing is shocking to me in this disease anymore.  I am trustworthy and honest.  These things I have learned about myself through this recovery.

When I reflect on this Mothering Me project I think about how much things have changed in the last month.  I am making specific time for myself in this hectic life I live.  I am writing and jotting things down on a daily basis.  I am exploring similar blogs and reminding myself that I am not alone.  I am opening my mind and using it differently.  I am drawing and actually sharing my art.  Ultimately, I am sharing myself.  It's terrifying, and yet so healing.  I feel even more inspired!  In spite of my fear of hitting that daunting "publish" button, I think I will keep going.  Please feel free to share your thoughts on either of my blogs.  I am loving the feedback.

Live on!

-Kristy

No comments:

Post a Comment