Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Basics...




Alright, let's start with some basics.  My name is Kristy.  I am 35 years old.  I have a 9 year old son and a 6 year old daughter and I have been married for 16 years.  OK, I know you're doing the math.  35 minus 16 equals 19.  Married at 19?!  I know, it's a little strange in this day and age to marry so young but it worked for us.  I have always lived in Washington State and now live in a small community north of Seattle.  I freakin' LOVE animals.  I enjoy a good yoga practice.  I try to get outside whenever I can.  I have an awesome extended family on both my side and my husband's.  I currently work full time, (although I don't know how long that will last) volunteer at three different locations and generally keep very busy.  Life is moving fast.   Maybe a little too fast.  In my attempt to keep myself grounded and connected to who I am and who I want to be, I have decided to start this blog.  I am a very open person and also quite opinionated so the web is a perfect place for me to express myself.

If you know me personally, you most likely know I have struggled with an eating disorder for a large part of my life.  I am very open about it and do not try to hide it now.  I have struggled with both purging type and non-purging type anorexia nervosa for many years.  I have also been in treatment for what seems like forever and continue my journey towards wellness.  My blog, Mothering Me was created as a therapeutic outlet.  As I explained in my previous post, my site is about self discovery, self acceptance, recovery, love, life and the like.  Why would I want to write about these topics you might ask?  Well, because I think I am finally figuring it all out!  No, I haven't discovered the meaning of life or the purpose of our existence or any of that.  But I am learning about what makes me, and maybe others, tick!  As I get deeper into my recovery, I am beginning to notice and accept things I hadn't before and I want to share.

I am generally a pretty in touch person (with the exception of when I am in an eating disorder pattern).  I tend to see things deeply.  Daydream.  I notice things.  I am always watching and wondering about the people and environments around me.  This is not always the best habit especially when I read things incorrectly or others read me incorrectly.  What I have often considered a "problem" can really be a gift.  I just have to learn how to accept this oddity in myself and cultivate it rather than think of it as an obstacle or something to conquer.  This gift has always made me a very deep feeler.  My emotions are an open book and right on the surface.  Is this a problem?  It has been.  But who can really say?  Is it wrong to be a person who feels and thinks deeply?  Our society is often uncomfortable with people who are open about feelings.  Hey sometimes I make myself uncomfortable!  But there are others like me and others that are not.  And it's all OK.  I can be who I am and others can either accept this or not.  There is room for two (or more).  So this is why I blog; to help me accept myself as I am and to help others learn how to accept themselves as they are.

Here's some food for thought:

What are you learning to accept in yourself?

How are you seeing your setbacks as possible gifts?

What outlets do you use to center or ground yourself in your truth?


Live on!

-Kristy






3 comments: