Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Lovely Days

My daughter, Lily
A gorgeous summer day is upon us in Western Washington today.  This is the kind of day that many of us who reside here live for!  All of those dreary days when we wonder why we make this area our home go out the window when the sun graces us with its presence.  The bright orb is glowing in the sky.  It hurts my eyes a little when it has been gone for so long.  It takes a few minutes to adjust to the light.  The temperature was supposed to be in the 80-90's this week which can cause some of us to start wining a little, "too hoooooooot."  But the gentle breeze is keeping sun-starved skin cool and comfortable.  Yes, I am happy today!  I can actually feel my mood is different on days like this.  I don't feel the oppressive gloom I feel on the overcast days.  I have Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and the fall and winter months can be difficult.  Today however, summer is here, and I will take it!

Knowing this weather perfection  will not last long makes me want to be out in it even more.  I want to put on something pretty, dig out my sunglasses and get out of the house.  I long to enjoy the beautiful area I live in.  For those of you who live in Washington State, you already know how special our corner of the world is.  It rains enough to keep the huge variety of trees lush and green.  The panoramic hills satisfy the eye's need for interest.  The mountains tower above still tipped with snow.  The Puget Sound sparkles and comes to life in the sun.  It seems the water is almost as happy to see the glow as we people are.  I live in a small town and I love to see everyone out in their yards, walking their dogs, washing their cars.  This weekend I fell asleep to the crackling sound of my neighbor's fire-pit.  It smelled like camp-out and I could hear their laughter and chatting.  I drifted off loving life.

My back yard is my sanctuary.  I am out in it whenever I can be which to me is not often enough.  Since I live in a development and all of our yards about not much bigger than a postage stamp, I work hard with what I have.  I have crammed my little space with plants and trees.  Flowers and pots.  There are feeders to lure the local wildlife to our little patch and we have had a successful outcome.  Feathered and furred visitors stop by for a snack or a bath and I sit back and enjoy my handiwork.  Of course, my sanctuary is not my own.  The kids have decorated the space with their toys and creations.  Neighborhood children of all ages gather in my back yard in particular.  I don't mind.  It just makes my little yard more active and full of life.

It is easy for me to stay in the moment on days like these.  Appreciating what I have, who I am with and where I am is so much simpler when the sun is shining.  I feel like I am a part of the world and life around me.  My values are much more in focus.  My family, nature and my spirituality.  If only I could feel like this everyday.  Maybe I should move to where the sun shines more often.  Nope.  Washington is my home and I appreciate the glorious summers days while they last.


Food for thought

What do you truly appreciate about the area you live?

Do you struggle with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)?  If so, what strategies have you found that help you?

Live on!

-Kristy


No comments:

Post a Comment